INVITING YOUR CLUB TO . . .
Sow The Seeds of Optimism With An Optimist JOOI Club!
1. What are Optimist JOOI Clubs?
Just like your Optimist Club, an Optimist JOOI Club seeks to improve the world through community service. Each Optimist JOOI Club conducts regular meetings, holds fund-raisers, plans social events and completes joint activities with its sponsoring Optimist Club.
There are three different kinds of Optimist JOOI Clubs.
A. Alpha Clubs - for ages 6 to 9.
B. Junior Optimist Clubs - for ages 10 to 13
C. Octagon Clubs - for ages 14 to 18
2. What is JOOI?
JOOI stands for Junior Optimist Octagon International. It is the umbrella organization that links local Optimist JOOI Clubs to others throughout North America. Much like Optimist International, JOOI is governed by an international board of directors as well as by District Officers. Each year, Optimist JOOI Club members attend District and International
convention to elect their peers to fill these important offices. Administrative support for JOOI comes from the JOOI Club Department at Optimist International.
3. Why Sponsor an Optimist JOOI Club?
Sponsoring an Optimist Club can be very beneficial to you and your Optimist Club. Many Optimist International leaders have been supportive of JOOI Clubs over the years because long-term involvement with embodies the true meaning of our motto, “Friend of Youth”.
For your club, Optimist JOOI Club sponsorship offers:
• Long-term commitment to youth verses short-term exposure at one-day activities.
• Lots of eager hands to help with your service projects and fund-raisers.
• A means to rejuvenate interest in your club’s activities.
• A special distribution network for your Oratorical, Essay and CCDHH contest.
• A unique way to involve a Club member’s whole family in Optimism.
• Membership recruitment leads to parents and relatives of the members in your JOOI Club.
• Special recognition in both your District’s A&A program and CPA competition.
• Eligibility for both the Honor Club and Double Distinguished Club awards.
For young people, Optimist Club membership offers:
• Positive alternatives to gangs and drugs.
• Fulfillment of the high school graduation requirement for community service.
• Opportunities to develop leadership skills at club, district and international levels.
• Individual and club recognition through an international awards program.
• Exposure to Optimism as a philosophy of life.
For the community, An Optimist JOOI Club offers:
• An additional nucleus of volunteers dedicated to improving the quality of life.
• A forum to address youth-related issues.
• Training for future community leaders!
4. What It Takes To Get Started and Who Can Help?
Attend the first quarter District Conference - October 14th & 15th to find answers in Johnson City!
Pat Sartin - JOOI - Chair